Authors: By The Associated Press
So your Lakota Schools student is a three-sport prep star? Congratulations. Now please write a check for $1,650.
The budget-pressed southwest Ohio district has resorted to a variety of activity and classroom fees in recent years to help offset costs as state funding and tax revenue have declined. For high school sports, that means $550 per student, per sport. No family or multiple-sport discounts. "Pay-to-play" fees have become increasingly common in schools facing budget problems. Little Miami Schools sports fees rose to $651 for each student, each sport, but are going down after that southwest Ohio district got a levy passed after eight voter rejections.
A sampling of other Lakota fees:
- Chess club: $350
- AP biology class: $48
- Still photography I class: $22 per semester
- Band wind instrument rental: $45 per semester
- Band shirt: $16.50
- Weightlifting class: $2 per semester
- Junior high planners: $5.50
- Kindergarten workbooks, paper, other supplies: $35
- Fee for paying fees by credit card: $2 per transaction.