MONROE, Mich. (AP) -- Hazardous materials crews have been called to deal with a box of broken thermometers found in a metal trash bin at a Michigan hospital.
Monroe police Sgt. Charles McCormick IV tells The Monroe Evening News ( http://bit.ly/I88I9R ) the roughly 2-foot-by-2-foot box contained several thermometers that apparently broke and spilled a small amount of mercury.
Cleanup teams were sent to Mercy Memorial Hospital in Monroe on Tuesday to dispose of the toxic chemical. Monroe is located near the Ohio border about 35 miles southwest of Detroit.
The Monroe fire department cordoned off a 150-foot area of the trash bin that's located on the side of the hospital building.
Information from: The Monroe Evening News, http://www.monroenews.com