Authors: Kelly Knaub
(NEW YORK) -- Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) said Sunday morning that according to Secret Service director Mark Sullivan, there is no evidence that the women who were allegedly solicited by agents in Colombia earlier this month were underage.
“He told me that at this point there is no evidence of underage women,” said Collins.
Collins joined Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) on “This Week.” Both suggested that the sex scandal that has engulfed the Secret Service could potentially have been prevented if more women were part of the organization.
“I can’t help but wonder if there’d been more women as part of that detail if this ever would have happened,” said Collins.
“I can’t help but keep asking this question ‘where are the women,’” added Maloney. ” We probably need to diversify the Secret Service and have more minorities and more women.”
Collins also expressed doubt that this is the first illicit incident involving the Secret Service based upon who was allegedly involved.
“To me it defies belief that this is just an aberration. There were too many people involved. If it had been one or two, then I would say it was an aberration” said Collins. “But it included two supervisors. That is particularly shocking and appalling.”
Six Secret Service agents have either resigned or been fired since allegations surfaced earlier this month that 12 members of the elite organization — along with several members of the military — were involved in the hiring of prostitutes while in Cartagena, Colombia.
The Secret Service was prepping for President Obama’s arrival to attend the Summit of the Americas at the time.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio