A man was killed and another person was injured in an early morning fire in Akron.
The Summit County Medical Examiner's office reported this afternoon the victim was Rodney Leon Dowdy, 53, from Golda Place in Akron.
Firefighters arrived at the scene just after 3:00 a.m. to find the house fully engulfed in flames and a woman out on a porch roof waiting to be rescued. Firefighters were able to rescue the woman, who told them there was someone else inside.
"Due to the heavy flames, it was very difficult, but eventually they were able to find a male on the second floor, in a second floor bedroom," said Akron Fire Captain Al Bragg. "Unfortunately, he did not survive the fire."
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Bragg says there was no electricity to the house and the residents were using candles for light. He says firefighters believe the candles or careless smoking may have caused the fatal blaze. The house and contents are considered a complete loss, totaling an estimated $40,000.
Bragg also says there were no working smoke detectors inside the house.
"Smoke alarms are proven to double your chances of surviving a fire," said Bragg.
This marks the second time in less than a week that people were injured or killed in a fire at a house without a smoke detector in Akron.
Bragg says homeowners who need assistance obtaining and installing a smoke detector should call the Akron Fire Department at 330.375.2211.