Alliance Police say a meth lab was to blame for an explosion inside an apartment building Monday morning.
Alliance police were called to South Union Avenue around 8:30 a.m for a report of a strong chemical smell, loud noises, and glass breaking. Police evacuated the building in order for the Stark County Metro Narcotics Unit to clean up the meth lab, according to officers.
Later that Monday, officers located 33-year old Marvin Adkins, who had burns to his arm and hand. Police say Adkins was attempting to carry the meth lab outside when it started sparking and eventually exploded.
He was also injured when he dove through a glass window of a door that he could not open in order to escape from the blast.
(Photo courtesy of the Alliance Police Department)
Adkins was taken to Alliance Community Hospital for treatment and then taken to the Stark County Jail.
He was charged with illegal manufacture of drugs, a first degree felony since children were in the building at the time. Adkins also faces charges of possessing drug paraphernalia and possession of chemicals.
Bond for Adkins was set at $100,000 and he will be arraigned Wednesday in Alliance Municipal Court.
Alliance police are currently investigating the incident and more people may be facing charges.