There were no injuries this morning but firefighters had to remove the steeple from the First Apostolic Church at 199 South after smoke was noted on the roof by a member of the congregation.
Firefighters from Mogadore assisted in the call; the blaze was contained to the exterior of the building and never traveled to the interior of the church. Firefighters said the fire started from a lighting circuit in the steeple, which was removed and lowered to the ground. F F
- - -
(Tallmadge Fire Department - news release) At 6:33 this morning, the Tallmadge Fire department responded to a fire on the roof at the First Apostolic Church. The fire was noticed on the roof near the steeple by a church member. The building was evacuated and Fire department called. First unit on the scene noticed a small fire on the roof. The interior of the building had no smoke or fire at the time of arrival.
The fire was extinguished by the responding engine company. Tallmadge Fire was assisted by Mogadore Fire to extinguish the fire and remove the steeple. The fire had traveled under the steeple requiring it to be lowered by fire crews.
The fire originated on the roof from a steeple lighting circuit. Damage was confined to a small office and the very rear of the worship area.